"Yes is a world.
And in this world of yes live
(skilfully curled)
all worlds."
-e.e. cummings

Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

On Rhinos and Revision

Seriously, guys, I need my own Rhino.

My dear friend at So Many Words recently blogged about Rhinos of Revision--that part of you that charges into the first draft of your novel, sniffs out what should stay, and stomps on what should go--stomps it FLAT. The Rhino of Revision doesn't give a sh--t. The Rhino of Revision has no problem killing your darlings. The Rhino of Revision eats darlings for BREAKFAST.

I am missing my Rhino. Oh, it comes out when I review other people's novels. I'm a confident editor when it's someone else's work. I know exactly what I think should change, exactly what I think should stay, and how I think the writer can whip the manuscript into shape. But I seriously, for the life of me, can't do it for myself. It's like a sickness. I'm on Novel 4 right now--having failed to get three into fighting shape after writing sucky first drafts. I just haven't figured out how to coax my inner Rhino out of its cave.

So far I'm lucky to have two very tolerant and long-suffering editors who are willing to lend me their own very competent Rhinos. But I need to be able to do this for myself. And it's not easy. I think it will have to involve spending more time with each chapter and just working out that muscle that seems to wither in the face of an overwhelming task. Of course, the one difference between my own manuscript and someone else's is that I don't have to actually put all the changes I suggest to work when I'm editing someone else's stuff. This makes me braver, I think.

So my goal for this week is to sit down and have a serious look at the chapters I'm working on. Maybe start an editing diary to keep track of what I think needs to happen, just in one small, manageable section that I'm working on right now. The secret is to keep this manageable. Because my Rhino is a skittish thing. It's got a five-inch-thick hide. But it's also endangered. Hm...may be carrying this metaphor too far.

Anyway. Rhinos. Must get one. Revisions. Must do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment