"Yes is a world.
And in this world of yes live
(skilfully curled)
all worlds."
-e.e. cummings

Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Open Mic Night

I've been teaching myself guitar, and I've got the calluses to prove it. I remember when playing guitar used to hurt. Now, I actually like that bite I feel when pressing the pads of my fingers up against the steel strings. I press them harder to make it sting more. When I haven't played guitar for a few days, my fingers ache to feel it.

The other night, I went to an open mic night at a cafe near MJ's place. When I got there, I found it was really informal--it was just the owner and her friends hanging out and singing each other songs. And I actually did it. I actually played a song, in public, using the owner's guitar. It was a bit hairy--I definitely screwed up a few chords--but I got through it. Hopefully it'll get better from here.

And then I read some poetry. I am a far better poet than I am a musician--so it was the poetry that got me the free drinks. Several glasses of wine later, I collapsed in bed and woke up with a hangover the next morning, my ambitious plans for an early morning gym visit completely shot. The hangover's gone now, but I've been pretty lazy all weekend. Maybe next week, I'll go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment